Briefly: The award winners of the annual Recreation Builders Selection ceremony have been chosen, with Hades snatching the “Recreation of the Yr” award from contenders similar to Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Half-Life: Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, and The Final of Us Half II.
The GDC Awards focuses on celebrating peer recognition amongst sport builders, awarding video games based mostly on their artistry, innovation, and creativity. The 21st Recreation Builders Selection Awards was absolutely digital regardless of preliminary plans of holding it as a hybrid occasion.
This yr’s jury included Chris Carla, senior director of content material curation at Xbox, Mark Cerny, lead system architect of the PS4 and PS5, Emily Greer, co-founder and CEO of Double Loop Video games, Caryl Shaw, VP of Growth for Double Wonderful Productions, and Brandon Sheffield, artistic director of Necrosoft Video games.
You may see all of the nominees and winners of the 21st Recreation Builders Selection Awards within the following listing:
- Recreation of the Yr: Hades (Winner), Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Half-Life: Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, The Final of Us Half II
- Finest Audio: Hades (Winner), Doom Everlasting, Remaining Fantasy 7 Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, The Final of Us Half II
- Finest Debut: Phasmophobia (Winner), Carrion, Mortal Shell, Raji: An Historic Epic, Umurangi Era
- Finest Design: Hades (Winner), Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Half-Life: Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, The Final of Us Half II
- Finest Cell Recreation: Genshin Impact (Winner), Alba: A Wildlife Journey, If Discovered…, Legends of Runeterra, The Pathless
- Innovation Award: Goals (Winner), Fall Guys: Final Knockout, Hades, Half-Life: Alyx, Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Finest Narrative: The Final of Us Half II (Winner), Remaining Fantasy 7 Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades, Kentucky Route Zero: TV Version
- Finest Know-how: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Winner), Goals, Half-Life: Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, The Final of Us Half II
- Finest Visible Artwork: Ghost of Tsushima (Winner), Cyberpunk 2077, Hades, The Final of Us Half II, Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Finest VR/AR Recreation: Half-Life: Alyx (Winner), Goals, Paper Beast, Star Wars: Squadrons, The Strolling Useless: Saints & Sinners
- Viewers Award: Ghost of Tsushima
- Pioneer Award: Tom Fulp (creator of Newgrounds and co-founder of The Behemoth)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Laralyn McWilliams (lead director of Full Spectrum Warrior and inventive director of Free Realms)
Since Hades was first launched as an early entry sport on the Epic Video games Retailer, the sport has been praised for its artwork, sound, and gameplay. Throughout early entry, the studio had exemplary communication with patrons and followers, working intently with the neighborhood to enhance the sport to its present state.
Apart from being named “Recreation of the Yr” on the 21st GDC Awards, Hades has already been awarded with the “Finest Recreation” award at 17th British Academy Video games Awards and “Recreation of the Yr” on the 24th DICE Awards.
Furthermore, it was nominated for “Recreation of the Yr” on the Golden Joystick Awards and The Recreation Awards 2020.
Many imagine “early entry” is not the most effective technique to develop a sport (cough, cough… DayZ), however Supergiant Video games nonetheless took an opportunity and created what appears to be the most effective sport of 2020.