General

Dairy allergy teen Owen Carey ‘died after eating buttermilk’

Owen CareyImage copyright Family handout
Image caption Owen Carey was celebrating his 18th birthday when he died

An adolescent with an allergy to dairy died after eating rooster marinated in buttermilk, an inquest has heard.

Owen Carey was celebrating his 18th birthday in London when he collapsed and died on 22 April 2017.

The inquest heard he ordered “skinny grilled chicken” at Byron Burger however there was “no mention” of a marinade on the menu.

Technical supervisor Aimee Leitner-Hopps stated a discover on the menu requested prospects to advise employees of allergy symptoms.

She additionally advised South London Coroner’s Court all ready employees underwent allergy coaching.

‘Very small font’

Clodagh Bradley QC, representing Mr Carey’s household, from Crowborough, Sussex, stated laws required details about allergy symptoms to be clearly seen in a restaurant.

Information on the Byron menu was “at the very bottom, in a really very small font, in black print, on a royal blue background” making it troublesome to learn, he added.

Ms Leitner-Hopps stated: “It’s perfectly legible in my opinion.”

She additionally stated it complied with authorized obligations.

When requested by assistant coroner Briony Ballard why it couldn’t be extra outstanding, she replied: “The expectation is that a customer with an allergy should inform us.”

Ms Bradley QC additionally stated: “The menu makes no mention at all of marinade. It would be very easy for a reader of the menu to think this was a plain grilled chicken breast.”

Ms Leitner-Hopps stated: “If you have an allergy you should be asking for information and the team would have provided it.”

The listening to continues.

To Top