The large image: Basic Motors instructed the Detroit Free Press that beginning subsequent Monday, September 6, it’ll quickly halt practically all of its manufacturing vegetation within the US because the lingering Covid-19 pandemic continues to hamper manufacturing of semiconductor chips abroad. GM spokesman Dan Flores mentioned he wasn’t positive if the availability constraint is as a result of staff have a excessive price of an infection of if the federal government is placing restrictions on vegetation as a result of pandemic.
A spokesperson for GM said the corporate will run its Arlington Meeting in Texas at common manufacturing subsequent week, together with its Flint Meeting plant the place it makes heavy-duty pickup vans, the Bowling Inexperienced Meeting in Kentucky the place the Corvette is constructed, and a portion of its Lansing Grand River Meeting the place Camaro and Cadillac Blackwing automobiles are created.
Sadly, all different meeting vegetation will go idle come subsequent Monday.
“Through the downtime, we’ll restore and ship unfinished autos from many impacted vegetation, together with Fort Wayne and Silao, to sellers to assist meet the sturdy buyer demand for our merchandise,” Flores added.
The size of downtime varies vastly by plant. Right here’s what GM needed to say concerning the affected amenities:
- Fort Wayne and Silao Meeting vegetation to take per week of downtime beginning Monday. GM expects to restart common manufacturing Sept. 13.
- Wentzville Meeting in Missouri, the place GM builds its Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickups and Chevrolet Specific and GMC Savana full-size vans, will take downtime for 2 weeks beginning Monday.
- CAMI Meeting (Canada) and San Luis Potosi Meeting (Mexico) will take two extra weeks of downtime by way of the week of Sept. 27. Manufacturing of the Chevrolet Equinox midsize SUV, which GM makes at each amenities, has been down since Aug. 16. San Luis Potosi additionally builds the GMC Terrain midsize SUV.
- Lansing Delta Township Meeting provides two weeks of downtime beginning Monday. GM expects to renew manufacturing there the week of Sept. 20. GM makes the Chevrolet Traverse and the Buick Enclave midsize SUVs at Lansing Delta Township.
- Spring Hill Meeting in Tennessee, the place GM builds the GMC Acadia, Cadillac XT5 and Cadillac XT6 midsize SUVs, provides two weeks of downtime beginning Monday. GM expects to restart manufacturing the week of Sept. 20.
- Ramos Meeting in Mexico will take two extra weeks of downtime for Chevrolet Blazer midsize SUV manufacturing by way of the week of Sept. 13. As well as, Equinox manufacturing will probably be down till Oct. 4. Manufacturing of the Chevrolet Equinox has been down since Aug. 16.