C20 DECLARATION – November 20, 2020
Prioritising nature, well being and other people in an efficient and equitable COVID-19 restoration and response
“The pandemic is a reminder of the intimate and delicate relationship between people and planet. Any efforts to make our world safer are doomed to fail unless they address the critical interface between people and pathogens, and the existential threat of climate change, that is making our Earth less habitable”
Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization
We, the leaders of the undersigned conservation NGOs who collectively make up the Wildlife Conservation 20 (WC20), make the following suggestions to Global Leaders at the G20 Summit in response to the influence of the COVID-19 pandemic
1. Against the background of remorseless local weather change and catastrophic ranges of biodiversity loss, COVID-19 is an additional symptom of an ailing planet. As our unsustainable consumption of pure assets and our destruction of the pure world continues, the G20 nations should present management and take pressing motion to deal with the risk and root causes of zoonotic pandemics.
2. COVID-19 has killed 1.Three million folks to date, affected tens of millions extra, and has harmed livelihoods on an unprecedented scale. The International Labour Organisation warned that in the first 9 months of 2020 earnings earned by employees globally fell 10 p.c, equal to a lack of over US$3.5 trillion. Economic packages aimed at mitigating the influence of the pandemic are already projected to be as a lot as US$26 trillion, dwarfing the value of the environmental measures required to assist stop one other pandemic, by a number of orders of magnitude.
3. Taking the appropriate steps to deal with the current imbalance with nature brings larger financial and monetary profit in the long term. Healthy economies and societies rely on wholesome ecosystems, and restoration in a post-COVID-19 world can’t be at the expense of nature and local weather whether it is to be sustainable and balanced. A inexperienced and simply restoration may even present jobs and livelihoods, significantly for the poorest and most weak who’re hardest hit. Harmful monetary incentives, which additional undermine the viability of pure methods, want to be lowered and in the end eradicated, and as an alternative redirected in direction of nature-based options. G20 States ought to commit to producing the order of magnitude enhance in global funding that’s required, in order to shield nature and biodiversity and forestall future pandemics, in addition to securing the technical experience and assist required to guarantee its efficient and equitable distribution.
4. The precise supply of COVID-19 stays unsure however scientists agree it’s one other zoonotic spillover that occurred on account of the growing human-wildlife interface. The COVID-19 pandemic is a stark warning that our present relationship with nature is unsustainable and requires important funding for the future well being of ourselves and our planet. If that funding doesn’t happen at the scale that’s required, then additional pandemics are possible, with the potential for related or larger human and financial prices.
5. Seventy p.c of rising infectious ailments are zoonotic in origin, together with SARS, HIV, and Ebola. Root causes are the encroachment into and destruction of the pure setting through practices corresponding to agricultural enlargement, industrial-scale farming, deforestation, and the unsustainable exploitation of pure assets, together with wildlife farming and the wildlife commerce. These carry people, wildlife and livestock into shut contact, growing the threat of zoonotic pathogen spillovers.
6. Political and monetary commitments to avert environmental crises that negatively influence folks and our planet have but to be translated into efficient motion. Government sectors want to be coordinated and have interaction wider society to guarantee efficient implementation of methods that promote a realignment of our relationship with nature. There is an pressing want for partnerships and unified coverage and technique amongst establishments dealing in ecology and wildlife conservation, zoonotic ailments, animal and human well being, meals security, commerce, finance and related regulatory and enforcement companies.
7. Signing up for brand spanking new commitments is ineffectual if they continue to be ‘yet to be implemented’. G20 member governments want to create the enabling framework for efficient actions to ship options on the floor, whereas monitoring and evaluating their influence, and recognising and championing success and deterring transgressions.
8. Now, as by no means earlier than, all efforts should be taken, as said beneath, to take robust motion to overcome these threats by investing in pure ecosystems and biodiversity to stop future pandemics, and by delivering evidence-led options to zoonotic dangers.
● The function of multilateral agreements corresponding to CBD, CITES, CMS, Ramsar Convention, UNTOC, UNCAC, and the UNESCO World Heritage Convention.
● The UN Sustainable Development Goals, the Paris Climate Accord, present provisions to safeguard human, animal and flora or well being in addition to pure assets inside devices governing worldwide commerce corresponding to WTO GATT, and different related worldwide our bodies corresponding to FAO, OIE and WHO.
● The London Declaration on the Illegal Wildlife Trade signed by 65 governments in London in October 2018 and the previous Kasane Statement (Botswana 2015) and Hanoi Statement (Vietnam 2016).
● The UN General Assembly ‘tackling illicit trafficking in wildlife’ resolutions in 2015, 2017 and 2019; in addition to the decision ‘Preventing and combating corruption as it relates to crimes that have an impact on the environment’, adopted at the eighth assembly of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention towards Corruption.
● The Leaders’ Pledge for Nature signed by 78 nations in the run up to the 30 October 2020 UN Summit on Biodiversity that steps up global targets and encourages others to match their collective ambition for nature, local weather and other people.
● The One Health method, addressed in the Berlin Principles 2019, to promote present or new worldwide preparations to deal with the threat of zoonotic illness.
● The adoption by the G20 in 2017 of the ‘High Level Principles on Combating Corruption Related to Illegal Trade in Wildlife and Wildlife Products’.
● The IPBES report ‘Escaping the Era of Pandemics’, launched on 29 October 2020.
R1: Strengthening Policy and Implementation
G20 States want to useful resource and implement already present worldwide and home laws, in addition to new laws and WC20-recommended measures, to shield our planet’s biodiversity, environments and ecosystems. This will assist re-establish a more healthy hyperlink between folks and nature, and guarantee the authorized, sustainable and traceable use of pure assets in order that this doesn’t threaten human or animal well being.
1. Adopting the ‘One Health’ method really useful by the World Health Organization and different multilateral organisations, which incorporates cross-sectoral safeguards for folks, animals and ecosystems so as to mitigate zoonotic outbreaks. This would come with strengthening multidisciplinary and cross-sectoral approaches to quantify, prioritise and mitigate zoonotic spillover threat, particularly for business commerce and markets in wild animal species and in excessive threat spots corresponding to farming areas close to tropical forests, business wildlife captive farming and industrial livestock operations.
2. Uniting to be certain that the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, as agreed underneath the Convention on Biological Diversity, consists of targets and indicators in assist of the suggestions outlined on this doc, specifically those who guarantee any commerce and use of wildlife is authorized, sustainable, secure, and doesn’t embrace commerce in threatened species nor pose a zoonotic threat to people or to the survival of threatened species in the wild, whereas additionally incorporating issues safeguarding human and animal well being and wellbeing.
3. Complying with the following UN resolutions: a) ‘Preventing and combating corruption as it relates to crimes that have an impact on the environment’, adopted at the eighth Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention towards Corruption; b) the UN General Assembly ‘tackling illicit trafficking in wildlife’ collection of resolutions commencing in 2015; and c) ‘Preventing and combating crimes that affect the environment falling within the scope of the UN Convention against Transnational Organized Crime’, adopted at the 10th Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention towards Transnational Organized Crime in October 2020.
4. Developing and implementing efficient official governmental licensing, inspection and auditing methods as acceptable for wildlife, wildlife components and wildlife derivatives in commerce to guarantee transparency and efficient management, together with in authorities stockpiles, in addition to for secure veterinary-managed disposal when required, in accordance with agreed worldwide protocols.
5. For species the place business commerce (home and worldwide) is allowed, enact the implementing and updating of worldwide and nationwide laws and laws to guarantee it’s sustainable, traceable and secure – or, as acceptable and following session, closed down on the event the place it poses a probable, evidence-based threat of zoonotic transmission to folks or different animals or threatens the survival of the species in the wild; whereas making certain that science-based options primarily based on organic, public and animal well being standards, and standards to shield biodiversity and human and animal well being, are adopted to regulate commerce in species.
6. Adopting a fourth Protocol underneath the UN Convention towards Transnational Organized Crime to enshrine a dedication to stop and fight wildlife crime (vegetation and animals) in addition to zoonotic spillovers and foster cooperation between supply and demand nations.
R2. Enforcing Laws and Enhancing Regulatory Measures
G20 States want to scale up monetary and technical assist for legislation enforcement in key wildlife supply States, transit hubs and vacation spot nations/territories and undertake a collaborative and multi-organisational method. This will assist create an efficient deterrent to wildlife crime.
1. Monitoring and stringently regulating the at present authorized wildlife commerce, together with that associated to ranching and captive breeding of untamed animals, to be certain that any commerce that’s allowed doesn’t pose a threat to human or animal well being or the survival of the species in the wild, is carried out legally and sustainably, and is underpinned by traceability or certification, as acceptable, that follows scientifically-agreed tips on human and animal well being and well-being, and biodiversity safety.
2. Undertaking intelligence-led investigations to goal wildlife criminals working at middleman and better ranges inside worldwide organised prison organisations, coordinated by well-resourced, multi-agency, multi-disciplinary enforcement job forces at nationwide, regional and global ranges.
3. Increasing the growth and software of recent applied sciences to tighten legislation enforcement – together with at ports and borders – to obtain shared aims, efficient data sharing and shut collaboration in order to meet conservation and different aims and to assist shield human and animal well being and well-being.
4. Delivering elevated coaching, tools and technological options to expert wildlife rangers, and making certain compliance with required accredited requirements of apply and welfare.
5. Facilitating judicial coaching and processes to end in efficient prosecutions and proportionally-deterrent sentencing for worldwide wildlife trafficking, with additional further punishments launched the place acceptable, together with monetary and journey restrictions and asset forfeiture, with a further intention of changing these prison property into conservation restitution funds that assist finance wildlife and nature restoration.
6. Addressing worldwide wildlife trade-related crimes, together with cybercrime and cash laundering, by enforcement, coaching, non-public sector partnerships and cross-regional operations.
R3: Safeguarding Natural Ecosystems
G20 States want to work with all related stakeholders and specialists to safe satisfactory funds and technical experience, and authorities assist, for the efficient safety and administration of pure ecosystems and wildlife in order that they’re valued and supported, and develop into turbines of financial wealth. This will assist deal with the current funding imbalance which, in accordance to analysis by the European Investment Bank, signifies that global assets invested in nature restoration and biodiversity want to be elevated eight-fold if pure ecosystems and wildlife are to be adequately supported and allowed to flourish.
1. Champion and implement the name to scale up safety and conservation of pure ecosystems in order that 30 p.c of the world’s terrestrial, freshwater, coastal and ocean ecosystems are successfully conserved by 2030 by protected areas or different efficient area-based conservation measures, specializing in key areas for biodiversity and ecosystem providers and recognising the contribution by Indigenous Peoples and native communities. This requires, for instance, growing funding and capability in the present protected space community to guarantee it’s successfully conserved; the institution of further group conservancies; the creation of corridors for animal motion; and supporting buffer zones round key pure habitats.
2. Intensifying worldwide cooperation and nationwide and worldwide funding in the conservation of excessive biodiversity and excessive integrity ecosystems, with due software of stringent environmental and social safeguards, and performing collectively to implement insurance policies to finish subsidies and investments dangerous to conservation that end in biodiversity loss and as an alternative redirect them in direction of nature-based options that ship important ecosystem providers.
3. Ending the deforestation, degradation and fragmentation of main/intact forests, together with by the higher use of forest monitoring and funds for ecosystem providers.
4. Addressing the lack of income skilled by those that play a key function in securing conservation areas – together with Indigenous Peoples and native communities – on account of COVID-19 corresponding to by exploring new financial benchmarks, together with equitable income sharing and thru supporting progressive sustainable funding mechanisms corresponding to these described in the UNDP Biodiversity Financing Initiative.
5. While recognising and respecting all sovereignty points, supporting the enlargement of partnerships with the non-public sector, thereby serving to safe additional assets and safeguards to implement programmes that shield ecosystems and enhance administration capability of protected areas and pure landscapes, while additionally serving to to get rid of investments that hurt biodiversity.
6. Enabling rewilding programmes and restoring degraded land and seas; and inspiring environmental research-led, landscape-level territorial planning for prioritising the adoption of ‘smart green’ infrastructure and growth tasks that safe core wilderness areas.
R4: Supporting Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLCs)
G20 States want to respect the rights, and improve the livelihoods and well-being of IPLCs dwelling inside and/or relying on pure ecosystems in order to enhance human wellbeing, alleviate human-wildlife coexistence pressures, and scale back and halt the lack of pure habitat and the related wildlife they maintain. This will assist allow IPLCs dwelling inside or relying on pure ecosystems to outline and take part in wildlife guardianship, monitoring and enforcement and promote wellbeing alongside sustainable livelihood alternatives and financial growth, in addition to decreasing the lack of pure habitat and the related wildlife they maintain.
1. Developing and implementing the enabling setting and rights-based insurance policies to strengthen wildlife and rural economies to mitigate human-wildlife battle and enhance IPLCs’ capability to pursue sustainable livelihoods that assist their well being, meals safety and security.
2. Funding IPLCs by funds to them for the safety and enhancement of ecosystem providers and biodiversity in a way that they require, and utilising their conventional data, in serving to ship acceptable wildlife safety programmes.
3. Evaluating and supporting acceptable sustainable livelihood, various incomes and meals options for native communities that rely on wild meat for subsistence, so as to scale back the threat to human well being and weak wildlife populations and to deal with meals safety.
4. Enabling greatest practices for human-wildlife coexistence in a way that adopts approaches in accordance with the rights, function and wishes of IPLCs; whereas serving to enhance the capability of native communities to outline and take part in conservation governance, wildlife monitoring and guardianship, and collaborative enforcement.
5. Mandating investments focusing on wildlife-dependent communities to monitor the well being of people and animals to stop and establish potential incidences of zoonotic spillover whereas totally participating IPLCs in such efforts.
6. Securing, as acceptable, authorized recognition of Indigenous Peoples’ rights together with safety of land tenure and dealing to uphold native rights to use and profit equitably from pure assets.
R5: Reducing Demand, together with Changing Consumer Behaviour
The G20 States want to work with authorities authorities, stakeholders, civil society and main influencers to inform the public about decreasing the dangers of zoonotic spillovers, in addition to working to increase public consciousness about and scale back demand for illegally and/or unsustainably exploited wildlife and their merchandise.
1. Supporting and boosting public schooling and consciousness campaigns and social advertising and marketing to change shopper behaviour in the use and buy of dangerous, unlawful, unsustainable or unsafe wildlife or wildlife merchandise utilized in sure luxurious items, standing symbols and medicines.
2. Phasing out the use of any such merchandise as cited in the level above in public procurement.
3. Informing the public and governments of the urgency of avoiding future zoonotic transfers, and the significance of sustaining pure forests, wildlife and their biodiversity for our well being.
4. Raising consciousness inside their States of the authorized penalties for buying unlawful merchandise whereas making certain that any commerce is effectively regulated, authorized, sustainable, traceable and secure.
5. Enabling technical and monetary assist for researchers, each in supply and demand nations, to higher perceive the drivers, tendencies and dynamics of shopper behaviour, so as to affect demand discount.
The G20 wants to act now to deal with our current imbalance with the pure world. Habitats have to be protected for wildlife. The true worth of pure capital and ecosystem providers should be recognised and accounted for. The unlawful wildlife commerce should be stopped, and another business commerce in wildlife that poses a risk to biodiversity or to human well being, together with future pandemics, should be stringently regulated or ended.
COVID-19 has been a get up name to everybody on this planet. Now is the time to worth and spend money on nature to stop future pandemics by creating sustainable nature-based financial stimulus packages that embrace a One Health method and deal with long-term planetary well being, meals safety, poverty alleviation, local weather change and biodiversity loss, and work in direction of attaining the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
That is why the WC20 calls on the G20 nations to implement larger funding in nature. Doing so won’t solely carry environmental advantages however will generate jobs, present sustainable financial growth alternatives and assist deal with the local weather emergency. Otherwise, the pure world, on which all of us rely, won’t be safeguarded for the long-term well-being and safety of present and future human generations, and for all life on earth.
The undersigned due to this fact urge for the speedy adoption of our Recommendations.
African Wildlife Foundation
Born Free Foundation
Education for Nature Vietnam
Global Initiative to
End Wildlife Crime
Environmental Investigation Agency
Fauna & Flora International
Frankfurt Zoological Society
Jane Goodall Institute
Paradise Foundation International
Space for Giants
The Nature Conservancy
Wildlife Conservation Society
ZSL (Zoological Society of London)
Dated: 20 November 2020