Security forces were lucky to escape unharmed when a bomb went off in an apparent booby trap in Wattle Bridge, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.
Army bomb disposal officers and police were at the scene of the blast this morning close to the town of Newtownbutler.
They had been in the area over the weekend following reports that a device had been left there.
That was declared to be a hoax but a bomb disposal team returned this morning to review the scene when the second device exploded.
It is understood the Army team of Ammunition Technical Officers (ATO) and police were fortunate to escape without injury.
The finger of suspicion will again point to dissident republicans opposed to the peace process.
Fermanagh and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew condemned those responsible.
She said: ‘This morning’s bomb attack in Wattle Bridge was totally wrong.
‘Thankfully no-one was injured in this incident but we could have been dealing with a situation where people were seriously injured or worse.
‘Those responsible for this incident have nothing to offer society and need to end these actions immediately. Anyone with information on this should bring it forward to the PSNI.’
Deputy Chief Constable Stephen Martin said: ‘At around 10.35am this morning police officers at the scene have reported an explosion in the area of the Cavan Road at its junction with the Wattlebridge Road.
‘There are no reports of any injuries and officers are investigating the cause of the explosion.
‘Police had received a report that a suspect device had been left in the area of Wattle Bridge on Saturday evening. The area was secured by police and a full clearance operation began on Sunday morning.
‘The initial report received by police indicated that a device had been left on the Wattlebridge Road however the explosion occurred on the main A3 Cavan Road.
‘While this investigation is at a very early stage I am of the firm belief this was a deliberate attempt to lure police and ATO colleagues into the area to murder them.
‘Although this device was intended to kill police and army personnel the fact that it was placed on a main road the result could well have been devastating for anyone in the immediate vicinity.’
Mr Martin continued: ‘This attack was indiscriminate and reckless and, whilst there is no doubt in my mind that police responding to this call were the target, the reality is that anyone could have been caught up in the explosion.
‘We are extremely fortunate that the actions of officers who were first on scene meant that there was not serious injury or death.
‘I wish to acknowledge and commend the bravery and commitment of those officers and army personnel at the scene of this attack.
‘I would like to again thank the community for their patience and co-operation throughout the security operation as we seek to ensure their safety.
‘The area around the scene will remain closed for some time while our officers conduct their investigations and ensure the area is safe.
‘I ask that anyone who may be able to help our investigation and identify the perpetrators of this sinister and potentially murderous attack to please come forward.
‘You can call us on 101 or if you would prefer information can be given anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.’