A German Shepherd was rushed to the vet after eating three feet of Christmas tinsel.
Eight-year-old Benji needed to bear main surgery when X-rays confirmed 80cm of the sparkly ornament inside him.
Olivia Mullen, 24, says she was shocked because it was utterly out of character for her canine to eat something from round the home.
The animal care assistant mentioned: ‘This is the first time he’s ever achieved something like this. He doesn’t even go after footwear or toys, so it was a complete shock.
‘The tree wasn’t up but and he had truly gone rooting by a field. I used to be working and my mum known as me to say he had eaten some tinsel.
‘I see poorly animals on a daily basis at work, but when it came to my own dog, I was an absolute mess … I was so upset and worried, but I knew he was in the best possible hands.’
Thankfully, Benji’s accidents are therapeutic nicely and he is now at house.
But David Owen, lead emergency vet at Vets Now’s Manchester hospital, warns shiny tinsel might be ‘very attractive to both dogs and cats’ and something stringy might be ‘extremely dangerous’ if swallowed.
He added: ‘In veterinary medicine, we call this a linear foreign body. If the tinsel anchors itself in the stomach, it can’t then cross by the intestines and may slowly reduce by the tissue like cheese wire.
‘This can cause severe damage to the pet’s intestinal tract.
‘If you suspect your dog or cat has swallowed tinsel, or anything similar such as ribbon or thread, don’t anticipate indicators or signs to seem earlier than you act.’
Vets Now claims it can see a 70% rise in instances round Christmas and New Year.