Footballer skewered by pole through the neck while training
The boy had to be airlifted to hospital yesterday afternoon after being skewered (Picture: BPM)

A boy had to be rushed to hospital after a freak accident in which a football training pole went through his neck.

The youngster was airlifted to A&E after the incident on some football fields off Chell Heath Road in Fegg Hayes, Stoke on Trent.

Firefighters and paramedics were called to the scene yesterday afternoon where the boy had been playing football with friends.

The fire service was called to cut the pole that was skewered through the boy’s neck before he could be taken to hospital by the Midlands Air Ambulance to have it fully removed.

A spokesman for Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: ‘Crews from Sandyford have been called to a football field off Chell Heath Road, Fegg Hayes to assist colleagues from West Midlands Ambulance Service with a boy with a spike from a football training pole in his neck.

Advertisement

Advertisement

‘The pole was cut and the boy flown to hospital by the air ambulance.’

The West Midlands Air Ambulance was called to Fegg Hayes after a boy got a football training pole spike stuck in his neck.
Fire crews cut the pole on the football field before the boy was airlifted to hospital to have it removed (Picture: BPM)
The West Midlands Air Ambulance was called to Fegg Hayes after a boy got a football training pole spike stuck in his neck.
West Midlands Air Ambulance took him to casualty where he was treated (Picture: BPM)

Advertisement

Advertisement