An explosive device at a gender-reveal party set off a potentially devastating wildfire in Canada, authorities have revealed.
The device was wired to blast blue or pink powder into the air but instead sparked an inferno which grew to about an acre before it was fortunately extinguished.
The blaze erupted in woodlands in Alberta on May 31, reported Global News.
Firefighters reportedly required the assistance of 10 wildfire specialists to put out the blaze.
Alberta Wildfire spokesman Travis Fairweather said: ‘While fireworks and exploding targets can be fun, they can also come with a hefty price tag if you inadvertently start a wildfire.’
The responsible parties were fined $600 and could be forced to pay for the costs of fighting the fire.
Local forestry laws state that permission must be granted for the use of fireworks or exploding targets.
It comes after a gender-reveal party caused a huge wildfire in the El Dorado Ranch Park in California in September last year.
Some 7,000 homes had to be evacuated after the flames, set off by a pyrotechnic device, spread to more than 10,500 acres.
In February, father-to-be Christopher Pekny, 28, was building a device for a gender-reveal party in New York when it blew up and killed him.
Just weeks earlier, Evan Thomas Silva, 26, from Hartland, Michigan, died after a novelty smoke canon blew up at a baby shower party.
Blogger Jenna Karvunidis, who is cited as first popularising gender-reveal parties back in 2008, recently said she regrets causing the trend.
The mum, whose child is ironically now gender-nonconforming, previously told Metro.co.uk: ‘Who cares what gender the baby is?
‘I did at the time because we didn’t live in 2019 and didn’t know what we know now – that assigning focus on gender at birth leaves out so much of their potential and talents that have nothing to do with what’s between their legs.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected].
For more stories like this, check our news page.