UK

Pensioner died after ‘accidentally setting fire to himself’ when cooker exploded

Ronald Burford, 88, died from carbon monoxide toxicity after he set fire to himself at his home in East Grove Bingham.
Ronald Burford, 88, died from carbon monoxide toxicity after he set fire to
himself at his residence in East Grove Bingham.

An 88-year-old pensioner was killed in a fuel explosion brought on by a leak from his cooker that didn’t have a legally-required security gadget, an inquest heard.

Ronald Burford, described as a ‘good bloke’ by neighbours, died from carbon monoxide poisoning after he ‘accidentally set fire to himself’ on April 12.

The emergency providers rushed to the scene of his residence in at round 8.15am after reviews of a ‘gas explosion’.

A coroner discovered the problem lay inside Mr Burford’s cooker – which lacked a security gadget stopping fuel from leaking out whereas the flame was unlit.

The inquest, held on Thursday, September 5, heard Mr Burford’s hob didn’t have a ‘thermocouple’, which prevents fuel leaking out when the flames should not lit.

Gordon Clow, HM assistant coroner for Nottinghamshire. stated it was possible the 88-year-old didn’t realise the burners had been on or was unable to dependable swap them off.

A man has died following a 'gas explosion' in Nottinghamshire this morning. Emergency services were called to a flat in East Grove, Bingham, after residents said they heard a bang at around 5.45am. Caption: Police at scene of 'gas explosion' in Bingham
MR Burford died from carbon monoxide poisoning after he ‘accidentally set fire to himself’ on April 12. (Picture: Nottingham Post/BPM MEDIA)
A man has died following a 'gas explosion' in Nottinghamshire this morning. Emergency services were called to a flat in East Grove, Bingham, after residents said they heard a bang at around 5.45am. Caption: Police at scene of 'gas explosion' in Bingham
Emergency providers had been referred to as to a flat in East Grove, Bingham, due to a fuel explosion brought on by a leak from the cooker (Picture: Nottingham Post/BPM MEDIA)

Returning a verdict of unintentional loss of life he stated: ‘Gas would have then built up around the cooker when ignited when Mr Burford attempted to light the cooker.’

Advertisement

Advertisement

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has urged individuals to contact Cadent Gas if they’ve any issues relating to a cooker which will lack a thermocouple, which has been legally required since 2008.

Lucie Poxon, fire investigation and arson discount officer, stated: ‘If you are worried that yours or a relative’s cooker doesn’t have the thermocouple security function, I might urge you to get in contact with Cadent who can match a locking cooker valve, fully freed from
cost.

‘When locked, the valve stops the movement of fuel to the cooker or hob and might be turned on by a carer or member of the family when the fuel is required.

‘This doesn’t intervene with different fuel gadgets, comparable to central heating.

‘For extra details about locking cooker valves, apply for a free becoming at cadentgas.com/lcv or name 0345 835 1111.’

Advertisement

Advertisement

To Top
%d bloggers like this: