Schoolgirl waited an hour for ambulance after fatal cardiac arrest

ffion jones
Ffion Jones pictured with her mum Stephanie, her sister Sophie and pop Anthony (Picture: News Service/Media )

A schoolgirl who died after ready an hour for an ambulance in her GP’s surgical procedure might have survived if it had arrived on time, an inquest discovered as we speak.

Ffion Jones, 12, was rushed by her mom to Rumney Primary Care Centre in Cardiff, on December 7, 2016, after she started vomiting and appeared torpid.

While she was being checked on the apply, her blood strain fell so low it couldn’t be detected.

A health care provider known as for a fast response car, which might have arrived in eight minutes, however was advised to name 999 for a daily ambulance.

She waited for an hour for an ambulance to reach, earlier than going into cardiac arrest and died later in hospital.

The inquest in Pontypridd reached a story conclusion and heard Ffion had Addison’s illness – a uncommon situation the place the adrenal glands within the kidneys cease functioning.



GP Dr Nicola Leeson mentioned she had been receiving coaching for requesting fast response ambulances and had been advised to name a specialist quantity.

A tragic schoolgirl died after being kept waiting for an hour for an ambulance in her doctor's surgery, an inquest heard. Ffion Jones, 12 (PICTURED) was taken to see her GP by her worried mum after suffering a mystery illness. The youngster had an elevated heart rate, fast breathing and her blood pressure was so low it could not be recorded. ? WALES NEWS SERVICE
Ffion died after being saved ready for an hour for an ambulance in her physician’s surgical procedure (Picture: Wales News Service)

The physician first known as for an ambulance at 2.24pm however was advised to name 999 as a substitute.

‘I didn’t get the response I used to be anticipating so I used to be stunned,’ the physician advised the inquest.

While ready for an ambulance, Ffion’s situation improved after taking Dioralyte however she later collapsed within the surgical procedure.

She known as the ambulance service once more to tell them the little girl was in cardiac arrest.

The physician advised the inquest: ‘Just as we had been making use of the oxygen one other receptionist appeared to say that I needed to go and ensure it was an actual cardiac arrest earlier than the ambulance service would ship an ambulance.

‘I was obviously slightly distracted by the information I had just been given and was rendered speechless for a few seconds.’

The ambulance arrived at 3.30pm and took Ffion to the University Hospital of Wales.

But the younger girl was pronounced lifeless the following day, after medics couldn’t detect mind exercise following a sequence of assessments.

Ffion Jones (second from left), from Cardiff, died from Addison's Disease. She's pictured with her mum Stephanie, her sister Sophie and dad Anthony
The younger girl died after struggling a cardiac arrest (Picture: Media Wales)

Nia Gowman, representing the Welsh Ambulance Service, mentioned they accepted there was a ‘missed opportunity’ to go the decision onto one other desk to request an eight-minute ambulance.

But it was argued that it will be ‘purely speculation’ to counsel this might have saved Ffion’s life.



However, Assistant Coroner David Regan mentioned Ffion would seemingly have survived if Dr Leeson’s name was escalated and an ambulance arrived sooner.

He mentioned: ‘The call was not escalated to the clinical desk as it should have been.’

In a press release, Jason Killens, chief government of the Welsh Ambulance Service mentioned: ‘We wish to prolong our honest condolences to Mr and Mrs Jones and their household at this very unhappy and troublesome time…

‘We are deeply saddened, as our service exists to respond to the needs of the people of Wales.’

A supervisor on the service mentioned modifications had been made since Fiion’s loss of life, specifically a 24-hour medical on-call system.



Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

To Top